I have been licenced since 2016 and have only been on 2 Meters (144Mhz), 70cms (433Mhz), 80 Meters (3Mhz), 20 Meters (14Mhz) and 40 Meters (7Mhz). The HF bands I could get on whilst operating away from home and up a hill somewhere. In the back garden? No chance!
I thought about what other bands I could get on without breaking lockdown rules, and had managed to get on 10 Meters using a CB radio mag mount that happend to be resonant on the FM part of the band. I had shot part of a video back in January and was going to go out in my car when Spring had finally sprung. Unfortunately Covid-19 hit us and that was that... Well not quite!
I had messaged a friend to see if he had 10 Meters capability and would he try and see if I could get a contact.
Not long after the band opened up, but I had no chance of getting anyone. But its something to add to the list of things to do when lockdown is over!
So that was 10 Meters, what about The Magic Band?
The Magic band is an odd band to use, it sits at the lower end of the VHF spectrum, and when it opens (when propagation allows) you can work long distances, not that Ive ever done that. I had seen a plan for a dipole antenna using buddipoles, and having ordered them I realised that I would not fit in the garden and would be a pain to rotate it! Well If you cant go horizontal, you can go vertical!
It actually worked, well FM Simplex and via a local repeater at least. I did manage to pick up a local CW beacon too! Just need to do some more tests!
So whats everyone been up to? any Antenna or Radio projects you wish to share? Put them in the comments below!
Stay Safe, 73!
No comments:
Post a Comment